In the event that an order is undeliverable once the courier arrives at drop-off, sellers can request one of the following actions:
- Discard items (default setting upon API key registration)
- Leave items at door (Postmate required to upload photo proof of delivery in-app; note: any delivery requiring signature, age verification, or return when customer is not available at drop-off cannot be left at the door.)
- Return items to pickup location (incurs an additional delivery fee)
Undeliverable actions are set per API key, not per delivery, and will be the default action for any undeliverable order unless ID scan or signature is required at drop-off. To change your undeliverable action settings, please contact your Account Manager or submit a Support request.
- Undeliverable + ID Scan Required: Any order that cannot be dropped off successfully where ID scan is required must be returned to the pickup location for the original order. This will take place automatically within the Postmates Fleet app as soon as the Postmate confirms that the order is not deliverable. Return orders will incur an additional delivery fee to compensate the Postmate for his or her time.
- Undeliverable + Signature Required: If signature is required at drop-off but the customer is not available to provide one within at least 5 minutes of the Postmate's arrival, the Postmate will either be directed to:
- Discard items
- Return items to pickup location (if return is the default setting at the API key level)